26.10.04

YMO - High-tech/no crime - Internal Records - TRULP1 (TRUCD1)

This is potentially at somewhat of a tangent to the intentions here, but... Some time last week a participant on the Severed Heads mail-list (Severed Heads? Pioneering Australian avant-garde/electronic band. I shall rave about them at another juncture) alleged that the Yellow Magic Orchestra were the true innovators and Kraftwerk merely a 'joke that got out of hand'. This was a, um, remarkable position, and since I vaguely recalled buying a YMO record in 1992, I thought I'd dig it out and have a listen.

Given that it's a collection of remixes (808 State, Altern-8 and the Shamen date it completely, I fear) I'm not sure how much of the original flavour makes its way through the murk of four-on-the-floor - or cartoon breakbeats in the case of Altern-8, but there's interesting stuff there that I intend to follow up. I firmly dispute blokey's claim in re. Kraftwerk, though. The stand-out track has to be the Orbital remix of Behind the mask. Now, you can cheerfully call me a clueless neophyte, but I had no idea the Clapton item was a cover. This version jumps on his like a happy smiley clockwork robot that just happens to be the size of a medium-large dole office. It also seems to have no concept of 'too loud', which through the strange and splendid mechanisms of righteous techno, is also true of Orbital's storming remix of Kinetic found on the CND-sponsored (sponsoring?) 'Give peace a dance III' compilation. The original is good (to be found on Fluxtrax 02), but Orbital give it something extra which still makes me grin like an idiot thirteen years after first hearing it.

Rambling as I am about remixes, I feel I should also mention the 'Overclocked remix' website - dedicated to reworking the in-game music from old hardware. As a for-instance, the remix of Fear factory from Donkey Kong Country on the SNES (Yes, I am fully aware that this sounds utterly ludicrous) is a cracking wedge of anthemic euro-trance. Not usually the sort of thing I care for, but it's done remarkably well.


Various - Give peace a dance vol 3, psychotic reactions - CND Communications - DISARM 5LP
Various - Fluxtrax 02 - EXP - EXPCD003
Overclocked remix

No comments: