18.10.04

Cowboy Junkies - One Soul Now - COOKCD296

Far less soporific than previous offerings, with nice driving bass lines and percussion, and some rocky guitar work and choruses. I'm glad to say they retain that dream-like quality on many of the songs and Stars of Our Stars and No Long Journey Home could even make radio singles.

One review I read complained that although they'd clearly developed their sound, they still sounded like the Cowboy Junkies. I rather thought that was the point of every band, to sound like themselves, rather than someone else?

One warning: When Margo Timmins sings "irony, oh, irony" on Simon Keeper, I'm convinced she's saying "Arnie, oh, Arnie" which has rather spoilt it for me. But mustn't carp. Mine came with a free EP of covers of songs by Neil Young, Springsteen, The Cure et al. That's good too - RL

No comments: