19.10.04

Natalie Merchant - Tigerlily - Elektra 7559-61745-2

Natalie Merchant was, of course, the very distinctive vocalist with 10,000 Maniacs and this is what I thought was her latest solo album. However it turns out it was recorded in 1995 and only released in 2002....Regardless of such anomalies it's a beguiling, beautifully produced acoustic album. She sings of all the usual stuff (love, loss, bereavement, fame, jealousy, earthquakes - you know, your life and mine) but her voice is unique and wonderful. I bought this on impulse in my local CD store in Cobham Surrey (Threshold Records, established by a Moody Blue) which has a really eclectic selection coupled with a very expensive sound system. SO I nearly always buy whatever they happen to be playing as it sounds so great. This one, unlike many others, also sounds great at home. Favourite track - "Where I go" with the refrain "Well I will go to the River from time to time, wander over these crazy days in my mind, watch the river flow". And after the year I've had, I know what she means.
Richard L, my critical faculties will improve with practise - but I'm not sure my eyesight will always be able to pick out the disc number on the spine. I hope you will forgive me.

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

No worries. I'm starting to have the same problem myself with small print in dark places. Though I still think Jack Straw failing to recognise Robert Mugabe "because it was dark" and he (Jack) was wearing contact lenses is going a bit far.