7.3.05

Sound Soundtrack Tracks

Who on earth buys CDs of soundtracks? I mean, honestly, they are either cynically commercial or meaningless without the, um, pictures. Ridiculous notion. Except for some of us (well, me at least) who can still remember with fondness the advantages of sampler albums (Rock Machine Turns You On, Bumpers, Rockbuster etc) they can perform a similar function. So the soundtrack to Before Sunset introduced me to Kathryn Williams, Kath Bloom and Kathy McCarty (not often you get a full set of Kaths) all of whom are worth discovering. The Garden State soundtrack introduced me to a great song by Colin Hay (ex of Men at Work for those Down Under)and some Zero 7 and Nick Drake which had previously eluded me. The Vanilla Sky CD gave me Sigur Ros (early) Looper and Red House Painters. And the soundtrack to The Insider (Michael Mann at his best by the way) has some great Jan Garbarek and Lisa Gerrard with Pieter Bourke. I like to think I have benefited from the hard application of the directors to be surprising and non-derivative. On the other hand, I may just be sad. My kids certainly think so.
On the subject of Samplers, they now come free on the front of magazines. The Word has some of the best of them. Not least for introducing me to Rilo Kiley. It's a great magazine from the reliable stable of David Hepworth and Mark Ellen which is now also Webcast as Word Radio! (for a fiver a month)

No comments: