8.3.05

Gillian Welch - Revival (Acony 50466 68742)

Well as a previous post was about something found in the bottom of a box I thought I'd review this from 1996 - found as I cleared out the car. I'd bought it a long time ago in a sale and never played it. My loss. Gillian Welch and guitarist David Rawlings are at the forefront of new country. Rawlings electric country guitar, including rasping feedback at times, is wonderfully balanced with more traditional slide guitar. And Welch's songs are are a treat. My favourite - Barroom Girls with the great opening lyric:
"Oh the night came undone like a party dress
And fell at her feet in a beautiful mess
The smoke and the whiskey came home in her curls
And they crept through the dreams of the barroom girls."

Paper Wings and Tear My Stillhouse Down find themselves oft repeated as well. If I had a Friday night music show in, say, New South Wales (or old South Wales come to that), she would be a regular feature.

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

Ah, now that would be fine thing, if we both had music shows. I've not been impressed with Ms Welch in the past, finding her a bit dreary, but I do like those lyrics you quoted. You'll be glad to know Madeleine Peyroux will be featuring this week.