9.3.05

Gerald Albright Live at Birdland West - Atlantic 82334

I bought Albright’s Bermuda Nights twelve years ago in a record fair, to see what he was like. Ooooo, he’s a bit smoooooth; haven’t played it much. In Kelly’s the other day, I picked up this one. Hmm, Impressions to start off with; Georgia On My Mind; Limehouse Blues – not heard anyone do that for ages; good blokes with him; not thousands. So I did what I very seldom do; listened to a bit.

Wow! Not even moderately smooooth. Albright’s burnin’, wailin’, screamin’ from the bottom. These geezers who follow Grover Washington can PLAY, though they don’t usually, so you gotta watch ‘em. This, in 1991, was the first Albright album that didn’t make the R&B charts, and most of the later albums have done better than this, so it’s clear where the rent’s coming from.

Only half is live; five are studio tracks, but he’s still playing - AM

No comments: