18.3.07

Neil Young - Live at Massey Hall 1971

(I refuse to accept this site is dead. Yet.)

Review Caveat - I am a huge Neil Young fan. I've read his biography twice (which if you look at it you'll recognise as an achievement in itself) and have almost everything he's recorded. So when I say this album is the best thing I've heard in years, it's in that context. Recorded five years after he left Canada and between After the Goldrush and Harvest, he's at his peak introducing some of his greatest songs as "something I just wrote" and with equally laconic introductions to the rest. The quality of the recordings is great. It stands along Live at the Fillmore - the Crazy Horse archive album he released a year ago. Listen out for an acoustic Cowgirl in the Sand, Needle and the Damage Done and Old Man.

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

Ok, as it's not dead yet, I've taken out that big hole where the Lucinda Williams cover should be.