21.3.07

Jon Redfern - May Be Some Time - Reveal

Well, if the site's not dead yet, I'll tell you about Jon Redfern. The album came to me as result of a recommendation by Paul in Diverse Music. As he predicted, it's a grower. It's a quiet, acoustic album, with the music, rather than the voice, to the forefront. The combination of strings, guitar and saxophone works well and nearly every track has strong, lilting melody. At times, you could be listening to a string, or even a jazz ensemble. The songs themselves are pretty minimal and I suppose I'll forgive him for the line "I love the sun/It shines down on every one". After all, didn't Dylan get away with "can you cook and sew, make flowers grow"? That aside, nothing offends me, there's much to enjoy and it sounds fabulous on LP. My copy came with a free CD of the album. Oh for the day when they start giving away LPs with CDs.

No comments: