14.11.06

JJ Cale and Eric Clapton - The Road to Escondido (Warners)

I better be moderate in what I say as I wouldn't want to have to make another recantation about the late career recordings of sixties legends. We know that these two fit perfectly together from Clapton's covers of Cocaine and After Midnight. And their voices and guitars work seamlessly together here. Indeed the opening track has a similar riff and the same structure as Cocaine. And later on there's a track with a strong similarity to Call Me The Breeze. This album won't challenge you, but it's high class blues shuffle and very listenable. It feels like snug, cosy fireside blues if you like, comfortable and warm. It's just that I prefer mine out in the wastelands, born in a cross-fire hurricane, and screaming in the teeth of a howling gale (to coin a phrase).

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

This was on the rack at the front of the local record shop here. For a moment, as the owner of few of J J Cale’s early albums, I was almost tempted but then I reasoned that Clapton hasn’t anything that wasn’t cosy for decades so I kept walking. If it’s wastelands you’re after, Richard, stick to Fat Possum.