14.11.06

Damien Rice - 9 (14th Floor)

If you liked his debut album O you will like this. It's very much in the same vein - intense, intimate, haunting. For me 9 Crimes and Rootless Tree stand out. It is a class apart from David Gray and other modern acoustic singer songwriters and Yusuf Islam/Cat Stevens wouldnt have bothered going back into the studio if he'd heard and thought about this first. A lot of it is about loss and therefore not to everyone's taste ("Does he have to drone on? What a dirge" was the reaction in the car ...) but I think it has moments of great beauty. The concert televised on BBC4 last year was one of the best recorded concerts I've ever seen.

1 comment:

Iwan Lehnert said...

I was kinda put off by his comment of "I know these songs are really similar to the last album, but so what, I like them", because that's not really good enough, really. But it's a good album, no question. Only problem I had was 'Me, Myself And I', which just really annoyed me.