18.9.05

Herbie Hancock - Possibilities - Warner 510110112

This is Herbie on piano with a host of guest vocalists, ranging from Sting to Christine Aguilera. I’m not normally a fan of those albums where someone rings up a pile of his or her chums and they all have lovely time and put together a hotch-potch of styles and egos but this really works and you get a splendid collection of songs with some great jazz piano and arrangements, effortlessly blended.

The album starts with a funky track with John Mayer and then the world-flavoured Safiatou on which Santana pops up with Angelique Kidjo, and on both tracks Hancock enhances the music without losing the flavour. I’ve never been a fan of Ms Aguilera (you’ll be amazed to hear) but on A Song For You she keeps the vocal gymnastics under control and lets Hancock do the real work and that’s really the start of the more jazz-flavoured numbers. Annie Lennox, Damien Rice, Paul Simon and Joss Stone also appear with others you may hate or love, but I can honestly say I’ve enjoyed every track.

2 comments:

Richard Sambrook said...

It's on offer in my local Starbucks. Every morning, as I wrestle with my conscience going in to buy a Grande Cappuccino, I toy with getting it. Now I shall...

Richard Lehnert said...

Ah, good. I'm glad I've removed one reason for wrestling with your conscience. That just leaves you to wrestle with going to Starbucks in the first place....