27.8.07

Houston Person & Etta Jones - Don't Misunderstand, Live in New York, 1980

Oh my, on my, this is some recording!!!!  OK, I LOVE these two together. So I AM biased. They are great live. When I saw them in 1990, they put on a wonderful show at the Blue Note. But I never saw them like this.

Houston, Sonny and Frankie take the lion's share of the CD. But Etta's performances are really there - particularly the title track, which is another object lesson in how Etta can GET you! It is almost in a different galaxy to the version she recorded about three years before on the "My mother's eyes" LP. But Etta and Houston are kind of known factors.

THERE IS A REVELATION IN HERE - it's SONNY PHILLIPS.

I've got everything Sonny recorded, but he never really CONNECTED with me 'til now. His playing here is awesome; no guitarist, so he is taking the load. And he plays really so much MORE than I've ever heard him before. Maybe, simply because he's taking the load, what he's playing is so much more in your face than usual. He also takes a bass solo, which not too many organists have tried (only Lou Bennett, I think, and that was on a trick machine).

All organ fans should have this album!!!!! End of story - AM


Allan's review originally appeared on Organissimo - Ed


 

No comments: