19.9.06

Razorlight (Mercury) + The Mountain Goats - The Sunset Tree

Two clicks on iTunes and two Indie albums later...
The Mountain Goats was released last year (and properly reviewed at the time by Iwan) but I have only just caught up with it. And it's definitely a case of better late than never. John Darnielle writes autobiographically of growing up in California with an abusive step father (to whom the album is dedicated). It captures teenage angst, sorrow, anger and more put to compulsive often joyful tunes. "This Year" with it's refrain ("I'm gonna make it through this year if it kills me") and salvation through a girl called Kathy ("two high maintenance machines") is the best track for me - but there is much to admire and sing along to. Catharsis through pop. Worth a second review if it encourages someone else to discover it!

Razorlight's second album lives up to the promise of their first. For me they are the best of the new indie bands sweeping the festivals in the UK over the last couple of years. "Somewhere Else" was a great single last year. The new one, from this album, is just as good: America, "All my life, Watching America, All my life, There's panic in America"...but other tracks like Who Needs Love and Before I Fall To Pieces are just as strong. Lead singer Johnny Borrell's arrogance irritates some - but if you're 26 years old with a great band and some great songs, that's as it should be. And the fact that Pete Docherty decided to physically attack him only to be floored by Borrell endears him to me even more.

No comments: