26.2.06

Arctic Monkeys - Whatever People Say I am That's What I'm Not (Domino BTDMDC)


I nearly didn't bother with this as so much has already been written about them. Post-punk nervous energy married with clever lyrics (again heavily influenced by The Streets). They now famously built a fan base on the internet (My Space.com) and with relentless touring without the support of a record company became unignorable. The album is sharp, edgy and very assured. My favourite tracks - "Bet you look good on the dancefloor" and "Still take you home". If you want to remember what it was like to be 17 put this on and turn up the volume. No place for a burnt-out-40-something to be hanging around? Maybe - but I'm not alone. 50 quid bloke pointed me to a piece by Andrew Collins’ in Word magazine this month. "Titled: ‘How Arctic Monkeys saved my life’, it’s basically a description of how they have turned him - a middle-aged, seen-it-all music hack - into a stammering fan again." Indeed.

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

I've been resisting buying this on the grounds that anything that's hyped that heavily can't be that good. But this persuaded me and I picked up a copy during a fit of airport malaise in Sydney. However, I have no cd player with me so I'll have to make do with a live performance on www.kcrw.com instead. There's a lot of other good stuff on that site - Sounds Eclectic is always worth a listen.