5.11.05

Bob Dylan - No Direction Home: The Soundtrack - Col 520358 2

I don’t buy old stuff as a rule, partly because I’ve got quite a lot already, but also because there’s so much around that’s fresh and new, but I was persuaded by a big Dylan fan to get this and I’m very glad I did. It’s two cds of mostly previously unreleased takes and live versions covering both acoustic and electric periods, from 1959 through to 1966 and the infamous accusation of “Judas” at Manchester’s Free Trade Hall. Of course, it’s also the soundtrack to Martin Scorsese’s film.

I’ve been spellbound. It’s reminded me of the extent to which that voice and the songs he wrote in that period influenced those who were growing up, not just during those six years, but for many years after. It’s reminded me of how great a musician he was, and of the power of his lyrics. There’s a simple version of She Belongs to Me on the electric cd and it still comes across as a sharp a dissection of character as you’re likely to hear. When I heard Tombstone Blues and the line addressed to the commander in chief “the sun isn’t yellow, it’s chicken” I thought immediately of the Bush Administration. It’s staggering how contemporary some of the songs seem. If you didn't like them the first time around, then you won't like them now, but if you did, don't be afraid of looking back.

No comments: