12.7.05

The Stands - All Years Leaving - ECHCD50

The Stands are a bit of an enigma. At least they are to me but maybe not to anyone who reads the music press regularly. My understanding is that they're British and they sound eerily like Bob Dylan when he was just a lad. I have listened to (and enjoyed) a lot of Dylan in my time but frankly I never thought anyone would bother to go to trouble of recreating his sound when he did it originally so well or so badly, depending on your taste.

I can only think that one afternoon when The Stands were teenagers and bored, they raided their dads' record collection for the purpose of poking fun, found his Dylan LP's and though it would be a jolly good idea to revive the old snarler. Oddly, it works. They're not Dylan, of course, but they've got a great way with melody and, like Dylan, can create an atmosphere with just a couple of phrases. And there's a new album out shortly so catch up with this now.

No comments: