1.2.05

Various - Disco sucks - Che Trading CHE60CD

Years ago, when I was living in London and participating in dotcom malarkey, I helped a chap I was working with move house. His big brother ran Che records and gave me a good handful of CDs as a thank-you. I played the Disco Inferno to death, since the idea of an ambient-shoegazy Joy Divison appealed immensely. However for reasons unknown, this CD slid to the bottom of a pile, and thence to the bottom of a box where it's been until yesterday. It's... A damn fine snapshot of indie-land from 1996. A pre-electronic Bis do twee, Bardo Pond and The Delgados do the loud-quiet-loud-quiet thing, Fuxa are hypnotic, Merzbow reverses a half-track playstation shop over a metal 'nite' in a suburban pub... And then there's Exit. Imagine Test Dept playing one note on several sets of brass bagpipes for four minutes. An utterly marvellous racket that makes the Merzbow track seem a paragon of cheerful tunefulness by comparison.

No comments: