13.1.05

www.music-map.org

I just discovered this website and thought I would pass it on as it's fun to play with. You type in an artist you like and it creates a map of other artists that are in some way similar. It works by an algorithm (or should that be algo-rythmn?)that is used to map random elements in forensic investigation (apparently).

Some of the closest features in any map may seem contentious, but equally it may make connections or suggest new artists that you wouldn't otherwise have reached...which I suppose is what maps are partly for.

1 comment:

Richard Lehnert said...

Mark Southall in Diverse Music in music used to provide much the same service and I hope he still does for those close enough to make use of it. Once you had him calibrated (to use Richard Sewell's phrase), you could guarantee that every delivery would not only include what you'd asked for, but also several albums from people you'd never heard of or never thought of listening to, most of whom went on to become firm favourites. These days I go to my local shop, ask for Jolie Holland and get offered Jools Holland.